Black Sheep Brewery

King's Head returns with support from a Yorkshire icon

16/10/2014

A well-known Yorkshire Dales pub has re-opened with support from the region’s best known brewery, Black Sheep.

New owners Nick and Karen Glanvill have carried out an extensive refurbishment on the King’s Head, in Gunnerside, Swaledale.

As well as re-roofing, refurnishing the pub, and carrying out repairs to the building’s structure, Nick and Karen have worked with the Black Sheep team to put the Masham-based brewery’s Best Bitter, Riggwelter and Golden Sheep on the newly-installed bar.

The King’s Head, which dates from 1760 closed two years ago and Nick and Karen, who also own Keld Lodge, near Richmond, bought the premises in July this year.

All of the refurbishment work on the Grade II listed building has been conducted in line with planning permission granted by the Yorkshire Dales National park Authority.

Nick Glanvill said: “It is truly satisfying to see a building that needed so much work, once again open and serving its locals and visitors to the Dales. In rural communities such as Gunnerside, the pub is at the heart of the village life and is an essential amenity. We filled five skips with years of accumulated rubbish and spent hours and a small fortune giving The Kings Head  a great new look  and we are delighted to have Black Sheep, a Yorkshire icon, at the heart of the brand new bar.

“We are pleased to be opening the doors once more and welcoming customers back into the King’s Head.”

David Croft, Senior Business Development Manager at Black Sheep Brewery, said: “Pubs like the King’s Head are priceless, so it is very exciting to see Nick and Karen’s investment paying off for the community of Gunnerside. It’s great that they have chosen Black Sheep to anchor the pub’s cask ale offerings, keeping Yorkshire at the heart of the new look King’s Head.”

ENDS

NEWS RELEASE: ISSUED ON BEHALF OF THE BLACK SHEEP BREWERY

CONTACT: Paul White on 01325 363436

Notes to Editors:

The Black Sheep Brewery in Masham made its first beer in 1992 after being built up by Paul Theakston, whose family had brewed in the area for six generations.

In a world of ever increasing bland, mass-produced beer Paul saw an opportunity to return to what his family had done best since 1827, making real beer in the time-honoured fashion.

An old maltings building, once part of Lightfoot's Brewery became the Brewery’s home. This landmark building, which stands high over the banks of the Ure, had fallen in to disrepair as years of neglect as a semi-redundant grainstore had taken its toll. Paul assembled a small team around him to fight the rats and build a traditional country brewery.

The Black Sheep Brewery name derived from Masham’s association with sheep, but ‘Sheep Brewery’ didn’t quite sound right, so with a little creativity from Paul’s wife the Black Sheep Brewery was born, a name that sat well with the area, spoke volumes about the maverick attitude to the multi-nationals seeking to dominate the brewing industry and captured the essence of the family struggle that led to our birth.

Black Sheep Ale at 4.4% ABV, now in an eco-friendly lightweight bottle, continues to maintain its presence among the top ten premium bottled ale brands, and is available nationwide from virtually all the major supermarket retailers. It is a classic premium bitter and as with all Black Sheep beers, full of character derived from the best possible brewing materials, plenty of time and patience in the brewing and our very special Yorkshire Square fermenters.

back to Black Sheep Brewery

Images

The King's Head's newly-installed bar
The King's Head's newly-installed bar
Download Large Image